ABBAupdate.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2017, 04:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Register now to enter drawing for ABBA's Definitive Collection album!  [See contest announcement at Update section ABBAUpdate.com.]
119 Posts in 41 Topics by 28 Members
Latest Member: FMDostoyevsky
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ABBAupdate.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Forum Contest to Win The Definitive Collection!!
| | |-+  Congratulations to Magda, our Week 2 winner!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Congratulations to Magda, our Week 2 winner!  (Read 5356 times)
ABBAUpdate
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »

Congratulations to Magda for winning The Definitive Collection for week 2 of the contest.  Magda is a well known ABBA fan and has contributed content to ABBAUpdate.com before, and she won fair and square.  So congratulations and thank you, Magda - your CD has been shipped and should reach you in a few days.

Magda is an amazing person who represents the kind of influence ABBA has had on certain people.  In addition to being a single, working mother, Magda also takes care of her mother - and she still finds time to actively contribute to fan organizations around the world.  Here is a bit more about Magda's fascinating story from the "short" profile she provided.

"I live in Romania and I started to like ABBA when I was 9 and I saw "Knowing Me Knowing You" (the boat clip) on TV on a Sunday afternoon.  In a country where the nation could have 3 hours of the (one and only) TV station programs, ABBA wasn't forbidden.  No albums, posters or such things, but we could see ABBA performing on TV from time to time. 

My dad bought me my first ABBA photo, a not so good quality post card sold at the cigarette stands.  My dad's mother was German, and so I got my hands on some "Bravo" magazines.  Then I learned that if i want to have ABBA photos, I better pay attention to the hotel maids.  So every September, when the summer season ended, I used to walk in the summer resorts from one hotel to another, tipping the maids to get the magazines that the foreign tourists left in the rooms.  It was a chance in 100 to get an ABBA photo, but my collection startd to grow. 

We had on TV the German clips from Musikladen/Disco Show.  They used to show a fan club adress at the end of the show.  I always had a pen and a paper to write the adresses down.  I wrote to every single one.  I even received some answers and fan club cards in the 80's.  I still have some of the envelopes and all the cards.  I started to take photos of the TV (picture the b & w TV and an old Russian camera).  And then one day I was "invited" by the Security to their headquarters for my fanclubs mail.  They kept me there 24 hours on a chair, so i found out what a cross-examination means.  I had to write a declaration with all the adresses where I sent letters to and to answer silly questions like "Why don't you listen to Romanian music?  Isn't it good enough for you?" and so on.  They told me that "people like me" are the ones who can plot against the Communist Party - under the fan-mail mask we make plans, we gather together to unknown adresses in the city, and that the Constitution forbids writting letters abroad. "Is that clear?" I had no idea about the Constitution (who had??).  I was 16 years old and my dad had died a year before...he died shortly after "a Security experience", - so it was pretty scary for me and my mom.  I knew an ABBA fan in Bucharest , so i started to mail letters to the fan clubs, but I started to use her adress as the sender's.

The high school mates started to call me "ABBA".  A few years ago our company hired a lady who was married to one of my ex-high school mates.  Hearing my name, she said "Oh my God, you are that Magda who was arrested for ABBA once!" It made me laugh. Seems that this experience left a mark on my school mates, too.

The strongest memory is ABBA related when one day I saw a girl who was just like Agnetha.  My heart stood still and I couldn't breathe.  I found her name, phone number, and I managed to talk to her and she visited me.  She offered me a small photo that I keep until today to prove the similarity.  And when ABBA The Movie came to town, I skipped school, went inside the cinema and bought tickets for all the shows in that day.

The most precious ABBA material I have is a personalized autograph from Agnetha - the only personalized autograph that I have.

As you can see, Magda is a special person with a unique ABBA experience from a difficult time - a common theme for many ABBA fans.  We congratulate Magda as this weeks winner, and we hope that she may soon receive more personalized autographs for her unique collection and contributions!

magda

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »

OMG , I can't believe tha my story is here as I wrote it , i thought that only a short part will be public  Embarrassed
I hope nobody will fall asleep reading it Cheesy

Haha , thank you so much for the encouragement , I actually wrote to ABBA members several years hoping in a personalized autograph...u know..I said that "OK , I've never had the chance to see them alive,to live the emotions of bursting in the shop when their albums were released (we had to wait for the sailors to bring heir fair trade merchandise and see if there's any ABBA tape there), I cant see MM! , they are my 30-years-love-story , now I would be happy with an autograph". And then the internet was invaded with many signed photos , not always with a genuine ABBA member signature, so I said that "a personalized autograph" would satisfy my long years hunger for ABBA materials. In the '90s I wanted to have everything that i have missed all these years and then..I realized that I have tons of photos and music and albums and even some books and I won't take anything with me in the final day.  So the personalized autographs are still my goal (even if I have lost my hope , I have to say , I gave up writing...maybe it's the age ..)

Thank you !
Magda
BJohnson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:56:31 AM »

Magda - I am glad your story got posted as is.  That is an amazing tail - much admiration to you.  I knew you were a fan, but that really puts a new perspective behind your postings.  Neat stuff.
Mi-ryam

fridaforever@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:54:26 AM »

Grin Magda is just amazing, she is a great friend to all of us... no kind word can make any justice to this wonderful lady...
enjoy Mags, we love ya!!!!

Mi

Mi :-)
EdinaM

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »

Mag is the best. Mwahhhhhhhhhh
magda

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:13 AM »

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed This smiley doesn't blush enough ! Awwwwwwwwww I am at work, u are not allowed to male me cry here !
Who is Edina ? She says "Mag"....ummm....Krissy ? Is that u ?  Shocked
Magda
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: